Master Training on Risk Analysis for Invasive Aliens Species: Fish and Animal
Saturday, 18 June 2011
Worldwide live animal trade plays a large role in moving animal species to various parts of the world, including Indonesia. This development enables the introduction of alien species into the ecosystem of a country. Such introduction must be controlled because it could cause degradation of the native ecosystem and spread animal and human disease globally. The Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) requires every country, including Indonesia, to prevent the introduction of alien species that can threaten the ecosystem, habitat, and native species, commonly known as Invasive Alien Species (IAS).
Competent human resources are needed to support the duty and function of the Agriculture Quarantine Agency, which maintains the front line for animal biological security of imports, exports, and transits in Indonesia. Therefore the Master Training on Risk Analysis for Invasive Aliens Species (IAS) Fish and Animal was conducted by the Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations (FAO-UN), the Agriculture Quarantine Agency – Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture, and Center for Indonesian Veterinary Analytical Studies (CIVAS) for 5 (five) days, from May 9 to 13, 2011, at the Balai Uji Terap dan Teknik Metode Karantina Pertanian (BUTTMKP) in Rawa Banteng.
The training had 20 participants, comprising of 15 officers from the Agriculture Quarantine Agency of the Ministry of Agriculture, 3 officers from the Fish Quarantine Agency of the Ministry of Marine and Fishery, and 2 officers from the Natural Resources Conservation Agency of the Ministry of Forestry
The training was opened by Dr. Bambang Erman (Head of the Animal Biological Security Division) on behave of the Head of the Agriculture Quarantine Agency. The opening ceremony was also attended by Ir. Islana Ervandiary, MM (National Project Coordinator/NPC), Dr. Ir. Antarjo, M.Sc (Head of the Balai Uji Terap dan Teknik Metode Karantina Pertanian), and Heri Yuwono, S.Pi., Mp. (Head of the Fish Quarantine Systems Division, Fish Quarantine Agency, Quality Control and Fish Product Safety).
The course consisted of lectures, laboratory exercise, field trip and group project discussion. Lectures were given by:
- Bambang Erman, DVM (Head of the Animal Biological Security Division) on “Policies and Control of IAS at Entry and Exit Points” and “The Concept of IAS Control Policies in Indonesia;
- Dr. Achmad Farajallah, M.Sc. (Professor of Zoogeography, Herpetology, Animal Systematics, Molecular Ecology, Department of Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Bogor Agricultural University) on “Introduction on Animal and Fish Invasive Species, Scope and Information Structure”;
- Dr. Elliott L. Potter, B.VSc., Q.D.A.H (International Consultant of FAO-UN) on “Introductory Focus, Risk Management IAS and Risk Assessment”;
- Dr. Rika Raffiudin (Department of Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at Bogor Agricultural University) on “General Arthrophod”, “Arthrophod: Insecta and IAS”, “Arthrophod Subphylum Crustacea and Mollusca”;
- Dr. R.R. Dyah Perwitasari (Head of Primate Research Center, Department of Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at Bogor Agricultural University) on “Animal Classifications”;
- Ahmad Zahid, M.Si. (Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science at Bogor Agricultural University) on “The Classification System of Fish” and “Identification of Invasive Alien Species”; and
- Rudyanto, B.Comm. (FAO Consultant) on “IAS Database”.
The laboratory exercise was held at the Biology Laboratory of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science, Bogor Agricultural University (FMIPA-IPB), while the field trip visited the Insect Museum and Freshwater Aquarium at the Indonesia Miniature Park, and Ragunan Zoological Park.
The training was closed with remarks from Dr. Ir. Antarjo, M.Sc (Head of the Balai Uji Terap dan Teknik Metode Karantina Pertanian), Dr. Achmad Farajallah, M.Sc. (FAO Consultant) and official closing statement from Ir. Islana Ervandiary, MM (National Project Coordinator/NPC) on behave of Head of the Agriculture Quarantine Agency. (Fit)